Learnum gives you all the tools you need to start, manage, and grow your membership site.
Note: All the related pages of Membership (Membership Levels, Checkout, etc.) are predefined, and created membership plans will be visible automatically. Therefore, you do not have to create and edit those pages.
The Membership > Settings dashboard page allows you to control the payment gateway settings for your website. To start configuring your Payment Gateway in Learnum, click the Settings section in the Membership dashboard menu.
- Payment Gateway: Select one of the payment options available in the dropdown field. The fields on the page will change based on the active payment gateway you have selected. It is important that you have chosen a payment gateway and completely set up your merchant account before moving forward with setup.
- Gateway Environment: Choose between Sandbox/Testing or Live/Production.
- Complete the fields for your chosen Gateway: If you are using Stripe, you will need to enter your Stripe Publishable Key and Secret Key. Other payment methods will have different processes.
- This section also includes details on configuring your Webhook or IPN.
This section includes a few fields related to general checkout settings for your default currency, accepted payment methods, and processing sales tax.
- Currency: Select the default currency for your membership plans. Payments made in other currencies will be automatically converted by your gateway account.
- Accepted Credit Card Types: If you are offering onsite checkout via credit card, this field will update the text that reflects payment methods accepted on your checkout page. If you choose to limit credit card types, you must also update this in your gateway account directly. This setting does not enforce which card types are processed, only the card types that are shown on the checkout page.
- Sales Tax: For US-based membership sites, you can configure a tax rule directly on this settings page. Always check with your accountant or your state tax office to see if tax is required and the tax rate for your memberships.
Let's start to create Membership Plans, go to Dashboard > Membership > Levels and click on the Add New button at the top corner.
Here you can set up Plan options such as name, description, confirmation message, subscription options, and much more.
- Name - The name of your Membership level (visible on the Membership Plans page)
- Description - Optional content shown on the checkout page.
- Confirmation Message - Optional content shown on the checkout confirmation page.
- Price - Initial amount of payment (This is what is charged at checkout. E.g. $10.)
- Recurring Subscription - Enable if your level has a recurring payment
- Billing Amount - The amount to be billed one cycle (day(s), week(s), month(s), year(s)) after the initial payment.
- Billing Cycle Limit - The total number of recurring billing cycles for this level, excluding the initial payment. Set to zero if membership is indefinite. At the end of the last cycle, billing will stop, but the user will still have their membership level access unless you also set an expiration below.
- Duration & Period - The amount to be billed per selected period (E.g. $7 will be billed every month within a year)
- Disable New Signups - Disables new signups and hides the level from the “Membership Plans” page
- Membership Expiration: Enable this to set when membership access expires.
- Expires In: Set the duration of membership access.
Note: the member’s recurring subscription (if any) will be canceled when the membership expires.
- Number of available courses in subscription - Specifies the number of available courses in the subscription. This means that users can enroll in several courses after purchasing this plan.
- Courses category available for this plan - Includes all the courses assigned to the selected category. So students can enroll in courses from the chosen category.
After filling in all the necessary fields and enabling options, click on the Create button to publish your Membership plan.
Once a member signs up for a membership level on your website, they will show up in your Members list. This is a separate list from the default Learnum Users dashboard page. You can view members and an overview of membership details.
Go to Membership > Orders to see all orders that have been generated for a new membership checkout or recurring payment received. Every membership checkout and recurring payment for membership has a unique order.
Each order reflects the information that was created by the member on checkout and for each recurring subscription order created. The default Orders page includes the following data:
- Code - A randomly generated code that serves as a unique invoice number and is shown to the member in the Membership Confirmation email and the Membership Invoices page.
- User - Member’s Username.
- Level - Membership Level purchased.
- Total - Total amount paid for the order including the initial payment or recurring subscription amount.
- Payment - The payment gateway used for the order.
- Transaction IDs - Payment and Subscription ID generated by the Payment Gateway.
- Status - Payment status of Canceled, Pending, Refunded, Review, Success or Token
- Canceled: An order in “canceled” status means that the membership it was linked to has ended, either via expiration, or an admin or user-triggered event (cancellation via the Membership Cancel page or checkout for a new level).
- Error: Occasionally, an offsite checkout via PayPal Express will initially authorize, then return a failure at a later time. Orders that are affected by this PayPal glitch will hold the “error” status.
- Pending: Primarily used for a “check” payment, orders in the “pending” status show that payment was not completed for the order.
- Refunded: The core system will never set an order to “refunded” but we provide this order status in the core list so that you can use it in administrating your membership site.
- Review: This order status is seen when using PayPal Express for offsite checkout (your primary gateway is set to “PayPal Express” or you are using “PayPal Website Payments Pro” and the user selected to pay via PayPal). An order left in “review” status means that the user returned to your site from PayPal but did not confirm their subscription.
- Success: An order in the “success” status shows that payment was completed and the membership confirmed. The membership for this order is active and there are no issues.
- Token: This order status means the user completed the Membership Checkout form on your site, clicked to complete payment via PayPal Express, but did not return.
Note: “Cancelled” does not mean the associated gateway payments have been canceled - just that the subscription and membership associated with that order was canceled
- Date - Date of order.
- Manage - Edit the order details and Delete the order (Confirm this action with the pop-up: “Are you sure to delete this item?”).
Click the "Pencil" icon to view additional details about the order.
- Expiration Month - Payment method’s expiration month as “MM”.
- Expiration Year - Payment method’s expiration year as “YYYY”
- Status: Payment status of Cancelled, Pending, Refunded, Review, Success or Token.
Discount Codes can be added on the Membership > Discounts dashboard page.
Click on the Add New button at the top corner to add a new discount code.
- Code - The value of the code members can enter at checkout (public).
- Uses - How many times the code can be used (leave blank for unlimited uses).
- Start Date - The date you want the code to begin working.
- Expiration Date - The date you want the code to expire/stop working.
Define how a discount code modifies the membership level’s default pricing for each level the code will apply to.
Setting up the discount code’s membership level pricing is very similar to the Membership Level’s pricing setup. When a discount code is applied to a membership level, the code’s pricing completely overrides the default pricing for the membership level.
- Initial Payment: The initial amount collected at registration.
- Recurring Subscription: Check if this level has a recurring subscription payment.
- Billing Amount: The amount to be billed one cycle after the initial payment.
- Billing Cycle Limit: The total number of recurring billing cycles for this level, excluding the initial payment. (Set to zero if membership is indefinite.)
- Membership Expiration: Check this to set when membership access expires.
Three basic reports are included in your Learnum Membership dashboard area. These reports highlight Sales and Revenue, Signups and Cancellations, as well as data for Member Visits, Views and Logins.
Now students can enroll in the course via the subscription plan. To access the course they need to click on the Get Course and select a plan from the drop-down menu.
After a user chooses the plan he can proceed to checkout. Here, users need to provide personal and payment information.
After that, they will be notified about membership activation and receive a copy of the invoice by email. Then users will be redirected to the course page.
Users also have the possibility to cancel membership plans in the My Memberships section from the profile page.